Generally while travelling one has to ensure a list of identity proof, that will be asked at either railway stations or airports. Among major proofs are Permanent Account Number (PAN) card, passport or Aadhaar card. But did you know, there is an app which can also be used as a valid id proof at any airport or railway stations. Yes, you have read it right, this is exactly what Aadhaar-maker Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has made it possible. Through their Twitter account, UIDAI reveals that one can actually use mAadhaar as valid identity proof at the mentioned transportation. All a citizen has to do is download the app.
mAadhaar is designed to provide an interface to Aadhaar card holders, where it carries information like name, date of birth, address along with photograph and 12-digit biometric number in their smartphones. Such also eliminates the error of losing the physical Aadhaar card or any other documents, as mAadhaar plays here the vital role.
UIDAI said, “Did you know, your mAadhaar profile is accepted as a valid Id proof by Airports and Railways. Download mAadhaar today and #GetAadhaar on your mobile. Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=in.gov.uidai.mAadhaarPlus&….”
Here’s how you can download mAadhaar
Step 1 – Visit Google Play Store. Note this app is not available for iOS users.
Step 2 – Search for mAadhaar.
Step 3 – Look for UIDAI as the developer. There can be a possibility of look-alikes of this app, hence, to ensure you have the right one check there will be a developer name mentioned right beside the app logo. If it is UIDAI, then you are good to go.
Step 4 – Hit Install.
Step 5 – Open the app and set permissions.
Step 6 – Import your Aadhaar profile on your mAadhaar app.
Step 7 – Use this as a valid proof.
It needs to be noted that, mAadhaar only works on smartphones which have Aadhaar registered mobile number. Also, allow the app to auto-read SMS – as per UIDAI this is mandatory security feature.
Here is list of key features of mAadhaar mentioned by UIDAI on play store.
1. Aadhaar Number Holder profile download – A convenient way to carry Aadhaar number with demographic details anytime, anywhere.
2. Biometric locking/unlocking – To secure biometric authentication by locking biometrics data. Once resident enables Biometric Locking system their biometric remains locked till the Aadhaar Holder chose to either Unlock it (which is temporary) or Disable the Locking system.
3. TOTP generation – Time-based One-Time Password is an automatically generated temporary password which can be used instead of SMS based OTP.
4. Update of profile – An updated view of Aadhaar profile data after successful completion of update request.
5. Sharing of QR code and eKYC data by Aadhaar Number holder – Share QR code and password protected eKYC data to retrieve accurate demographic information from it instead of manual entry.
6. Show Authentication Report – To view all the authentication report for a particular time frame.
7. Generate VID/Fetch VID – VID can be generated or if already created then can be fetched.
Hence, if you forgot to carry your physical identity proof, then worry not mAadhaar can be used as your alternative.