Cybercrime is a criminal activity which is carried on by the use of computers and the Internet. Some of the common cyber crimes are hacking, cyber stalking, denial of service attack(DoS), virus dissemination, software piracy, credit card fraud & phishing.
To tackle the issue of cyber crimes, CIDs (Criminal Investigation Departments) of various cities opened up Cyber Crime Cells in different cities. The Information Technology Act of India states clearly that when a cyber crime has been committed, it has a global jurisdiction. and hence a complaint can be filed at any cyber cell.
Step by Step Procedures to File a Cyber Crime Complaint
Step 1 -One may need to provide name, mailing address & telephone number along with an application letter addressing the head of a cyber crime investigation cell when filing a complaint.
Step 2-One must provide certain documents in order to register a complaint. List of documents varies with the type of cyber crime.
Documents / Information You Need to Provide while Filing a Hacking Complaint
In the case of hacking, the following information should be provided:
- Server Logs
- A copy of the defaced web page in soft copy as well as hard copy format, if victim’s website is defaced
If data are compromised on the victim’s server or computer or any other network equipment, soft copy of original data and soft copy of compromised data.
- Access control mechanism details i.e.- Who had the access to the computer or email of the victim?
- List of suspects if the victim is having any suspicion on anyone.
- All relevant information leading to the answers to following questions.
- What is compromised?
- Who might have compromised the system?
- When was the system compromised?
- Why might have been the system compromised?
- Where is the impact of the attack-identifying the target system from the network?
- How many systems have been compromised by the attack?
Documents / Information You Need to Provide while Filing an Email Related Cyber Crime Complaint
In the case of e-mail abuse, vulgar e-mail, etc. the following information should be provided:
- The extended headers of offending e-mail and
- The offending e-mail from
Contact information of different Cyber Cells……….Read More>>